2007 - 2012
Since January 2007, Land O’Lakes International Development, through the Malawi Dairy Development Alliance (MDDA) funded by USAID, has worked with alliance partners to strengthen 14 private sector input supplies and four dairy producer associations to support growth of the smallholder dairy industry in Malawi. The goal of MDDA is to increase incomes for rural dairy farmers and participating stakeholders by building economies of scale in milk production, collection and processing and meeting demand for affordable, locally produced, dairy products. The alliance partners provided investment of either cash or in-kind resources toward the goals of the overall project.
The main components of this project are:
- Ensuring the commercial sustainability of Milk Bulking Groups (MBGs).
- Expanding the availability and strengthen the capacity of input suppliers and service providers.
- Accelerating expansion of the commercial dairy herd.
Selected Cumulative Program Results
- $11.2 million was invested by public, private and non-governmental organizations for improving the dairy sector
- 11.1 million liters of milk was collected by MBGs
- 10.4 million liters, or 70 percent of milk collected, was sold to Lilongwe Dairies for processing
- 23 MBGs were supported or formed during the program - 7 of these are now registered as cooperatives
- 3,400 smallholder dairy farmers increased their incomes by 41 percent, having immense impact on their 14,000 family members
- 16,700 farmers learned about HIV/AIDS through training sessions organized at MBGs
- 900 farmers received agricultural advice through text messages and radio
- 1,660 cows were made available to farmers, including 650 heifers placed directly through procurement and pass-on schemes
- Established the country's first livestock insurance for farmers
- 17 MBGs donated milk to feeding programs that benefited orphans and vulnerable children
- 14 private sector input and service providers improved their business management tools and facilities that sustainably increased profits
For a success story, click here.
For a description of this Global Development Alliance project on the USAID Web site, click here.
To download a PDF version about this program that includes more information on our work in Malawi, click here.
For more information on this program, please contact:
Chief of Party
In the U.S.: